How can we help?

What happens if I move back to Canada?

When you become a Canadian resident once again you may incur a tax liability on your non-Canadian assets. According to the CRA If you owned certain properties, other than taxable Canadian properties, while you were a non-resident of Canada, we consider you to have disposed of the properties and to have immediately reacquired them at a cost equal to their fair market value on the date you became a resident of Canada. This is called a deemed acquisition. Consult the CRA or a tax professional for more information.

Also, please make sure to update your home address on your CI Direct Investing profile, and re-do the Tax Residency Form (RC518).

Was this article helpful?

Can’t find the answers you’re looking for?

Our customer care team is here for you.

Contact Support